Ligia M Houben – Transforming Grief & Loss: Strategies for Your Clients to Heal the Past, Change the Present and Transform the Future
Description OfTransforming Grief & Loss: Strategies for Your Clients to Heal the Past, Change the Present and Transform the Future
This powerful recording offers techniques and tools to improve your client’s ability to get back to living and show them the steps they need to regain positive living. You will walk away with a new understanding of the power of transformative thought and action, and how it can impact the lives of your clients.
Ligia Houben, grief and loss expert, will demonstrate tools that can help your clients find meaning, achieve breakthroughs, and learn how to build the life they want on the other side of loss or transition. You will take with you a roadmap that can help your clients cope with the grief that may arise when facing the loss of their job, after leaving their homeland, confronting the death of a loved one, or embarking on a new life after a divorce or break-up.
The techniques are simple and systematic, easy to teach clients, and will heal grief and renew life again for the client. The purpose of this recording is to bring awareness to the clinician in how to help your clients cope with such difficult times in an empowering and transformative manner.
This recording is a must, if you work with clients who experience any of the following:
- The loss of a loved one and feel filled with sorrow
- Gone through a divorce or romantic breakup and want to embrace their new stage in an empowered manner
- Lost their job and do not have the confidence to find new opportunities
- Retired and feel lost as they start this new stage in their lives
- Want to overcome their fears
- Want to expand their spirituality
- Want to live with more meaning and purpose
- Want to transform their loss and transform their lives!
- Explore different types of loss and utilize strategies to help clients identify patterns within their grieving process.
- Incorporate the 11 Principles of Transformation® into your clinical practice to help clients reconcile grief and loss.
- Differentiate between tasks and stages as they relate to the grieving process.
- Integrate spiritual concepts such as acceptance, forgiveness and gratitude into your work with grieving clients to help facilitate healing and recovery.
- Teach clients healing rituals including journaling, meditation and affirmations as strategies for coping with loss.
- Utilize a strengths-based approach with clients to help reframe loss as an opportunity for growth and recovery.
- Different types of loss
- Loss in each stage of development
- Primary and secondary losses
- Getting to know your client’s story of loss
- History of loss
- Assessment of loss
- Cultural values
- Support and strategies
- What is grief?
- Cultural considerations
- Types of grief: Anticipatory and Disenfranchised
- Dimensions of Grief: Physical, Emotional, Social, Spiritual
- Tasks vs stages of grief
From Grief to Growth: The Transformative Process
- Overview of the 11 Principles of Transformation®
- I. Acceptance of loss
- II. Living with grief
- III. Deeper spirituality
- IV. Emotional expression
- V. Sharing with others
- VI. Self-care
- VII. Rituals
- VIII. Living in the present
- IX. Modifying thoughts
- X. Rebuilding
- XI. Visualization of desired life
Tools and Strategies for Facilitating Growth in Clients
- Teaching radical acceptance
- Reframing acceptance versus denial
- Telling the story of the loss
- Expressive Therapies
- Music, films, pictures
- Drawing, painting
- Spiritual Tools
- Power of forgiveness and love
- Incorporate gratitude
- Emotional Expression
- The Cave
- Empty chair
- Sharing versus dwelling
- Letter writing
- Cognitive Strategies
- Changing the inner conversation
- Shifting perspective
- Responding rather than reacting
- Looking forward
- Values assessment
- Guided imagery
- ”As is” exercise
Limitations of the Research and Potential Risks
- Disparity in results across studies for grief related to trauma
- Special considerations for complicated grief and clinical depression
About Ligia M Houben
Ligia M. Houben, MA, FT, FAAGC, CPC, is a Fellow in Thanatology and a Fellow of the American Academy of Grief Counseling. Ligia is an international grief specialist and author, and she has devoted her life to help others transform their losses and their lives. A pioneer in working with Hispanic people and grief, Houben is the author of Counseling Hispanics through Loss, Grief, and Bereavement: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals (Springer, 2011). Ligia has presented about the needs of Hispanic people in times of loss on many occasions, including to the Association for Death, Education and Counseling (ADEC), the Baptist Health System and the International Death, Grief, and Bereavement Conference at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse.
She contributed to the creation of the first bereavement support group in her native country of Nicaragua, PUDE – an anagram for Personas Unidas en el Dolor y la Esperanza (People Joined by Pain and Hope), and for nine years, she co-trained Hispanic people to become facilitators in bereavement support groups in churches.
Ligia M. Houben is a former adjunct professor of Florida International University, Miami Dade College, and Kaplan University, where she taught courses on ethics, religion, and death and dying. She is the founder of My Meaningful Life, LLC. and the Center for Transforming Lives in Miami, Florida. Ligia has delivered her message to audiences ranging from corporations, educational institutions, and health care organizations, including Baptist Health System Florida, Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami Hospital and Vitas Healthcare. She has appeared on numerous radio and television programs, airing on networks such as CNN Español, NPR, NBC and Univisión.
Speaker Disclosures: Financial: Ligia Houben is the Founder and Director of The Center for Transforming Lives. She is an author for PESI Publishing & Media and receives royalties. She receives compensation as a self-published author. Ms. Houben receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc. She has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible organizations.
Non-financial: Ligia Houben has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
More courses from the same author: Ligia M Houben