Description Of Highly Sensitive Person Certification Training Program
In the late 1990’s the Sensory Processing Sensitivity (SPS) trait (also known as Highly Sensitive Person or HSP) was identified by Dr. Elaine Aron and colleagues. Affecting 15-20% of the population, this trait has a strong influence on the ability to interact and thrive in the everyday world as common stimuli from the environment produce uncommon reactivity in the nervous system of HSPs, resulting in biological and psychological challenges. Many clients are being treated for depression and anxiety without acknowledgement or treatment of their underlying SPS/HSP trait. This is crucial to their overall psychological health and recovery.
At the end of the course, the participant will…
- Understand how to assess the sensitivity trait in their clients
- Identify common mistaken conditions and characteristics
- Demonstrate an understanding of the neurological process of sensory processing sensitivity
- Identify HSP’s common mental challenges and therapeutic needs
- Implement multiple appropriate therapy methods
- Possess tools that stimulate positive change in the client’s wellbeing
What you’ll learn in Highly Sensitive Person Certification Training Program
Training topics included in the 10 hour certification program
- Overview of Sensory Processing Sensitivity
The history, assessments and mistaken conditions
- The Neurological Process & Physiological Challenges of HSPs
How does an HSP’s brain work and why does it affect their physical health?
- The Psychology of HSPs
and how the trait impacts childhood development and adult socialization
- The Social-Emotional Challenges of HSPs
Why identity, boundaries and relationships are difficult and tools to help your clients
- HSP Self-Care: Motivating your Client and Avoiding Pitfalls
Common triggers, behavioral habits and self-care tools
- In-Session Practices & Traditional Therapy Methods
Practical steps to a productive session, learning the HSP cues and what they mean, and using vocabulary
- Alternative Therapy Methods and Spirituality
Eastern mind-body practices, energy psychology techniques and spiritual development
- Course Review
8 Key take-aways including downloadable summary guide
Who should take this course?
- This course has been designed for mental health professionals including psychologists, counselors, therapists, licensed clinical social workers.
- Healthcare professionals such as general practitioner doctors, nurses/nurse practitioners, long-term caregivers, and massage therapists will benefit from much of the course content.
- Non-healthcare professionals such as teachers and school guidance counselors will benefit from much of the course content – and supplemental materials.
- This course is NOT intended for non-professionals, highly sensitive individuals, or parents of highly sensitive children.
Why become HSP Certified?
- 30-50% of therapy clients are HSPs struggling with depression, anxiety and other mental challenges
- Identifying as an HSP relieves many psychosomatic issues
- The methods & support for HSPs are different and far more effective than what is appropriate for other clients
- More people are learning about and identifying as Highly Sensitive, and are seeking support from specialized professionals.
- Getting certified with the Nickerson Institute provides an opportunities to grow your HSP clientele via two online directories.
About Wendy Nickerson
The principle instructor of this program is Dr. Wendy Nickerson, founder of the Nickerson Institute for Integrative Health Training, Licensed Clinical Psychologist in Canada and the United States, university instructor to graduate students in Counselling Education and Behavioral Health Sciences, and author of “Wild Women Never Get The Blues”. You can read Dr. Nickerson’s full bio on this page.
The supporting instructor is Jeannette Folan, integrative health coach, author, educator and advocate for Highly Sensitive people. Jeannette has presented workshops across North America to mental health professionals and the mainstream population. She can often be heard as a guest presenter on online summits and podcasts. To learn more about her, visit her website.
The guest presenters in the HSP course include:
Carla Sodi, MEd is a health coach and author specializing in highly sensitive people with autoimmune issues.
Suzanne Velasquez-Sheehy, Ed.D. is a former teacher/principal, author and energy psychology specialist who demonstrates the benefits of EFT/tapping for emotional regulation.
Yvonne Czarniak is an author, tai chi instructor, and advanced eden energy medicine practitioner who shares specific practices for highly sensitive clients.
Dr. Michael R. Smith is an intuitive HSP/empath, coach, mentor and author who shares his vast knowledge and experience on the benefits of spiritual support for sensitive clients.
More courses from the same author: Wendy Nickerson