NICABM – Practical Skills for Working with an Angry Client
Description Of Practical Skills for Working with an Angry Client
How to Work with a Client Who is Hostile and Critical
Skills for Working with Some of the Most Challenging Clients We See
When a client struggles with anger, it can affect their judgment and create even more barriers to their healing.
And when a client’s hostility and criticism is directed at you – that can be one of the most painful aspects of being a practitioner.
But to help our clients effectively resolve their anger, we have to look at the crucial role of the subcortical brain and how it affects reactivity. We need to know how anger leaves a lasting imprint on a client, and why it is associated with the same neural pathways as addiction.
That’s why we’ve brought together 20 of the greatest minds in our field to help us focus on more targeted interventions for clients with anger.
What you’ll learn in Practical Skills for Working with an Angry Client
Practical Skills for Working with a Client’s Anger
Five Skills to Immediately Defuse Anger
- Marsha Linehan, PhD Stephen Porges, PhD
- Kelly McGonigal, PhD Bill O’Hanlon, LMFT
- An emergency technique to halt a client’s rapidly escalating anger
- The one skill that stops rising anger so you can problem-solve
- One subtle tweak to a breathing exercise that can bring down a client’s arousal state
How to Help Your Client Release “Stuck” Anger
- Peter Levine, PhD Pat Ogden, PhD
- How to create new experiences that override a client’s anger
- Rage vs. collapse: how to help a client integrate two incompatible parts of their anger
Strategies To Help Your Clients Stay Engaged With Their Anger
- Marsha Linehan, PhD Joan Borysenko, PhD
- Bill O’Hanlon, LMFT
- The one crucial idea you need to “sell” to your angry clients
- The powerful “Fact Check” that can stop anger in its tracks
- The one question that shifts a client from reactive to reflective
Why Anger Can Become an Addiction – And How to Help Clients Break Free
- Rick Hanson, PhD Steven Hayes, PhD Joan Borysenko, PhD
- Kelly McGonigal, PhD Ron Siegel, PsyD
- The one emotion that looks identical to anger in the brain
- The deep connection between temperament and the immune system
- Why clients with depression may have a greater addiction to expressions of anger
How to Approach the Rageful Parts of Trauma-based Anger
- Pat Ogden, PhD Bessel van der Kolk, MD Ron Siegel, PsyD
- Why the subcortical brain can dominate the way trauma survivors express anger
- Why we may need to be more concerned with a non-hostile client
- Why most “anger management” training fails
How to Help Clients Overcome the Main Fear That Drives Hostility
- Sue Johnson, EdD Dan Siegel, MD
- Ron Siegel, PsyD Joan Borysenko, PhD
- The one deep-rooted fear that fuels most anger in relationships
- How to pull an angry client back in when they shut down in a relationship
- How to work with a client’s core vulnerability that drives the fear-anger cycle
What Can Go Wrong When Working with Angry Couples
- Ellyn Bader, PhD Stan Tatkin, MFT
- One strategy to help expand a client’s empathy for their partner
- How your opening question to an angry couple could actually be lighting their fuse
- How to work with the narcissism that can block a client’s ability to empathize
How to Work with an Angry Client Who Is Critical of You
- Zindel Segal, PhD Linda Graham, MFT Sue Johnson, EdD
- Stan Tatkin, MFT Bill O’Hanlon, LMFT
- Practical strategies to help you stay centered when facing criticism
- The “Compassionate Barrier” skill, and how it can keep you connected in a session
- One way to defuse a client’s anger in mandated therapy
Two Ways to Work With a Passive-Aggressive Client
- Rick Hanson, PhD Zindel Segal, PhD
- How to slow down a client’s escalating anger to allow for more awareness
- How to reframe a client’s sense of disappointment to help them see progress in their healing
- A nuanced strategy for working with a narcissistic client who challenges your clinical abilities
We proudly provide continuing education for practitioners who are dedicated to being the best in their craft. Our goal is to develop programs that connect you with the top experts and the latest strategies in the field, to help you achieve better outcomes, more quickly with each of your clients.
About Course Director: Ruth Buczynski, PhD
Dr. Ruth Buczynski is a licensed psychologist and founder and president of The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (NICABM). NICABM helps physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, and counselors – practitioners who have some of the most significant and life-changing missions on the planet – provide cutting-edge, research-based treatment strategies to their patients. For more than 25 years, NICABM has offered accredited training and professional development programs to thousands of practitioners worldwide.
More courses from the same author: NICABM
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to HealingCourse account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your HealingCourse account then going to Downloads Page.
There are no reviews yet.