What you’ll learn in Metaphors in My Attic
Here is what you get in the program, I know you will love it:
Section 1. Introduction
In which we explore what we actually mean by metaphor and just why this rather silly notion is actually, really, really important. Some might even say life-changing.
- Introduction to Metaphors of Movement (length: 12.29mins)
“Walking a tightrope” exercise
- A Minor Abreaction (length: 6.34mins)
“Mistaking effect for cause.”
- The First Question (length: 18.25mins)
“What is that like?”
- Metaphor Examples (length: 22.10mins)
“Typical metaphor examples.”
- Neurological Rationale for this Approach (length: 13.45mins)
“The brain stuff.”
- Kinaesthetic Denial – UPDATE (length: 26.12mins)
“Why a happy ending isn’t necessarily a good thing.”
- “And what is that like?” – UPDATE (length: 10.12mins)
“Discussion on why it doesn’t take so long to get to metaphor any more.”
Section 2. Developing Themes
By developing the theme of the metaphor, we get to delve deeply, really deep into the mind of the other person. If you get good at this, which you will, you will end up seemingly psychic as people are astonished at how you can possibly know so much about them.
- Developing the Metaphor and Issues of Scope (length: 14.09mins)
“The four directions – finding what is left…”
- Boundary Violations and Chronicity (length: 11.45mins)
“When client jumps category.”
- Eliciting the Coping Behaviour (length: 12.27mins)
“Applying behaviour to the metaphor.”
- Creating Idioms for the Metaphor (length: 29.43mins)
“Tell, don’t ask.”
- Recapping: “It’s all about Feet!” (length: 14.26mins)
“Changing state is never enough.”
- The Issue of Outcomes (length: 34.24mins)
“Finding out where you stand.”
- Boundary Violations – 3 UPDATES (length: 66mins, 72mins, 36.40mins )
x3 audio files developing the themes of Boundary Violations
- Session Structure – UPDATE (length: 23.44mins)
“How to structure an MoM session.”
Section 3. Container Metaphors
The coolest thing about container metaphors is that we can take what has been a lifelong problem and transform it during a single session. This isn’t something that we can necessarily do with the other category of metaphors.
- An Introduction to Container Metaphors (length 3.40mins)
- Relationships as Containers (length 2.50mins)
- Self as a container (length: 7.50mins)
- Fulfilments – UPDATE (length: 14.27mins)
- Childhood Themes (length: 9.42mins)
- Growing Up (length: 6.54mins)
- The Finer Points of Growing Up (length: 18.51mins)
- Bubbles (length: 10.38mins)
- Bubbles (ii) – UPDATE (length: 4.51mins)
- Containers – UPDATE (length: 14.21mins)
- Partial Containers – UPDATE (length: 6.57mins)
Section 4. Status
You know that guy who thinks he is above you in the world, well, he isn’t alone.
- Status (length: 32.26mins)
- Centre of the Universe (length: 12.34mins)
- Status – UPDATE (length: 15mins)
Section 5. Stages, Treadmills, Objects and Obstacles
These are the metaphors in which we are going nowhere fast. Given the context of some of them, this is no bad thing as no one really likes going over the edge. But what do we do when something gets in our way? Smash it down? Let’s find out…
- Stages of Life (length: 10.00mins)
“Putting on a performance.”
- Stages and Awkward Positions (length: 5.58mins)
“Under the Spotlight.”
- Treadmills (length: 12.16mins)
“The art of not getting anywhere.”
- The Object of Guilt (length: 20.39mins)
“A burden to be carried.”
- Dependency (length: 12mins)
- Obstacles (length: 13.46mins)
“Things getting in the way.”
- Edges (length: 10.51mins)
Section 6. A Testing Time
In this section, I present brief client metaphors for you to work with. You may surprise yourself at how well you do. Like with all the videos each of these has a comments section for your answers.
Introduction to the tests (length: 6.05mins)
- “In a hole.”
- “Feeling a bit of a jerk.”
- “Having an inclination.”
- “A gut feeling.”
- “In a goldfish bowl.”
- “Shouldering a problem.”
- “Donkey on the beach.”
- “Judgement day.”
- “In a cage.”
- “In a mess.”
- “Hanging around.”
Section 7. Demonstration Sessions and Discussions
Professionally filmed on location in Boulder, Colorado, USA
- Client Session and Discussion: “Hanging Around.” (length: 50.00mins)
Following up on a workshop experience that provided some very gruesome imagery.
- Client Session: “Facing Monsters.” (length: 50.28mins)
Having clawed her way of the pit of despair, this client is faced with dealing with monsters in her life.
- Client Session and Discussion: “Taking it to the Top.” (length: 38.15mins)
In this session, the client has an idea he wants to take all the way to the top.
- Client Session: “When it Hurts to Be You.” (length: 82.55mins)
At times this slow-moving session can be quite uncomfortable to watch.
- Client Session: “A Divided Self.” (length: 66.22mins)
Issues of identity can be some of the most painful aspects to deal with in therapy.
- Discussion: Skills to develop for MoM therapists. (length: 20mins)
More courses from the same author: Andrew Austin
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to HealingCourse account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your HealingCourse account then going to Downloads Page.